Friday, July 2, 2010

1st post

hi, i'm daniel. male. 30yo. and i'm in a fight to save myself.

i decided to start this blog because...well, i decided i needed more distraction in my life than i already have. no. that was my utterly feeble attempt at a joke. actually, the idea came to me as i was ravenously surfing all these incredible food blogs like kevineats and danieleats etc (i LOVE food btw). in the midst of gorging my eyes with the feasts of superfancy photos showcasing indescribably delectable meals, a realization dawned on me - that as the past 3 years saw an explosion of my degustation, so began the implosion of my fitness and health.

this was driven more viscerally and visually to me when my friend sent me this link
http://dwellingintheword.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/6-fat-man.jpg (WARNING! you may go "UGH!") telling me he found a pic of me. now i know he was only kidding (right, paul?), but it really got me all depressed. because that was me. actually it isn't. but i really felt like i was that guy with all my flabulous belly overflowing over my beltline, my pants popping at its seams, and this really heaviness in my lungs making even breathing a laborious undertaking.

i mean i've been joking lately that my belly now has a gravitational orbit of its own...but i wasn't always like this. i used to run. i used to go to the gym on a consistent basis. i used to eat healthy. i used to really live! what's happened to me?

well, what's happened is i hit 30, really started working, ate like whatevers, stopped exercising and got fat. everyone's typical story. and the scary thing? i found myself complacently resigned to my current state of expanding atrophy. but receiving that pic and hearing it from paul of all people that is who i am was like a swift kick in the you-know-what.


so comes about this blog. i will be documenting what i ate that day (including pics if i can help it) and what type of exercise (or activity) i did to offset it. cuz as everyone knows, it's a battle of caloric in/egress. this will in no way be scientific at all. instead i'll just describe what i had, perhaps not every meal either, just some mentionables, and will attach what i would need to do (purely on a guess) to offset that.

i.e. on tuesday, i had this for lunch:
CULPRIT: a huge bowl of pork chops (6 of them) smothered in thick cheese and tomato meat sauce over spaghetti from boston cafe.

DAMAGE: roughly 3000 calories, give or take 1000.

PRESCRIPTION: run 5 miles.

SUCCESS? utter failure - went home and drowned my sorrows with a tub of ice cream.

as i said, this is NOT a scientific documentation in any way.


now, what do i want to accomplish with this? more than anything it's to keep me accountable. and i'm opening it up to the world (all 2 of youS), so you too can keep me accountable! so i invite you guys as i go, or run, on this journey back to reclaiming myself back!

wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. do it. less talk more actions my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe you ate atherosclerosis on a platter of 3000 calories. next time set a fourth of the portion out for yourself and box the rest. the best thing that helped me lose weight was using smaller plates so i was forced to take in smaller portions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks don!!!! i've been forcing myself to move even if that means having to change the tv channels by walking up to it and not using the remote!

    Tia - i can't believe you used "atherosclerosis" so seamlessly in a sentence! yeah...i'mma work on portioning out what i eat. i realized i overeat everything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your progress, though I'm sure our double dinners haven't helped :-O. Those pork chops with cheese look really good...so hard to resist yummy food. Thanks for the mention :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at this fatty haha dan im glad u got a blog man but shouldnt u be workin dude. anyways been good homie

    ReplyDelete
  6. daniel! of course, i'd def give you a shoutout if i were talking about foodblogs! but yeah...i think our outings have been one of the major contributors to my ever growing belly. thanks! hahaha

    kwonza!!! dood. jjb time. but let's hike before.

    ReplyDelete